What is Polysorbate 80?
Polysorbate 80, also known as tween 80 is an emulsifier and solubiliser that is used to blend oil and water together in cosmetics.
Our polysorbate 80 is golden yellow in colour with a neutral scent.
What is polysorbate 80 used for?
Polysorbate 80 is a common ingredient used in a range of skin care products such as lotions, room sprays, creams, shampoos, body wash, bath bombs and shower gels. Polysorbate 80 helps to disperse oils and colourants evenly in liquid products to stop separation.
When making bath bombs that include mica powder, polysorbate 80 can stop the colourant from sitting on top of the water, as well as any oils used in the recipe. This not only looks better, but makes the bath bombs more effective as the oils can then absorb into the skin. It's important to note that if polysorbate is not used in a bath bomb recipe, any colourants used may stain the bath tub.
Make your own room spray with polysorbate 80:
• 250ml empty spray bottle
• Water 100ml
• Lavender essential oil 20ml
• Polysorbate 80 20ml
• Geogard Ultra preservative 3g
1. Put on gloves and safety goggles and weigh out the geogard ultra into a bowl.
2. Measure out the water in a separate jug.
3. Measure the polysorbate 80 and essential oils in another bowl and mix.
4. Now combine the geogard ultra and water until dissolved. This can take a few minutes to fully dissolve.
5. Once fully dissolved, add the polysorbate 80 mixture and mix. If the mixture starts foaming when mixing, leave it for a few hours before bottling.
6. Pour the room spray into a bottle of your choice, ready for use!
Is Polysorbate 80 natural?
Polysorbate 80 is made from sorbitan, which is produced from naturally occurring sugar alcohols. However, it is then ethoxylated, which isn't a natural process.
Polysorbate 80 may be more natural than some alternatives, but we don't consider it to be 100% natural.
Is Polysorbate 80 vegan?
Yes, polysorbate 80 is vegan as it is derived from vegetable products and doesn’t use animal byproducts in its production.