How to Make Face Cleansing Balm
Looking for a natural way to cleanse your face? A cleansing balm could be just what you need.
Some luxury brands are selling 100ml for over £40. You can make it yourself at home for much less. Follow our simple recipe and you can produce your own bars for £12 each.
Better yet, we've put together a recipe with natural ingredients, avoiding some of those chemical nasties that you'll find in commercial face cleansers.
Our recipe is as natural as it can be, take the power of nature into your hands and make it yourself! Plus, save a small fortune while you’re at it.
What is a cleansing balm?
A cleansing balm is a super-gentle facial cleanser that helps to remove makeup, oils and dirt from your skin.
We use coconut oil, shea butter and castor oil in this recipe for their moisturising properties.
We add jojoba oil because it is great in face treatments in general, and candelilla wax to help bind them together.
We’re using an SLS free emulsifying wax in this recipe to keep it super gentle, and it helps the cleansing balm wash off.
- SLS free emulsifying wax 30g
- Jojoba oil 30g | 34ml
- Coconut oil 20g
- Shea butter 8g
- Candelilla wax 8g
- Argan oil 6g | 7ml
- Castor oil 6g | 6ml
- Vitamin E oil 2g | 2ml
- Organic rosemary essential oil 1g | 1ml
1. Weigh your ingredients
- Weigh your coconut oil, shea butter, emulsifying wax and candelilla wax into a heatproof bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix your jojoba oil, argan oil, castor oil and vitamin E oil
2. Melt the solid ingredients
- In a bowl over boiling water, heat your solid ingredients. You can also use a microwave, just use 30 second bursts.
- Mix regularly to help the emulsifying wax and candelilla wax melt.
- Heat until melted, and mix thoroughly.
3. Combine your ingredients
- Combine your melted solid ingredients with your liquid ingredients
- Mix well
- Pour into a container or mould and allow to cool
How to use cleansing balm
Rub the balm onto your fingers and gently massage it over your face and neck. Work until you've covered your face with it, but avoid your eyes.
Moisten your hands a little and then massage your face some more. It should start to gently foam.
Wet a flannel and wash it off. Hurrah! Your face is fully cleansed.
Now that you've learnt how to make face cleansing balm, why not learn how to make more natural beauty products?
- Learn how to make a face oil with our organic face oil recipe
- Make your own lip balm with our vegan lip balm recipe
- Try making your own clay face masks with our simple clay facemask recipe
How did your cleansing balm come out? Comment below and let us know